This is a beautifully simple but delicious salad that is a perfect accompaniment to almost any main course.
Don’t be put off trying raspberry vinegar, its neither sweet nor sickly. The flavour it lends is delicate, fragrant and perfectly balanced with the other ingredients. While it’s not a common ingredient, it its not impossible to find either. Get it from a deli, market or fancy pants grocery store.
I love this salad so much, I’ll be bold enough to predict that once you’ve tried it you’ll make it again and again.
- A bowl full of mixed salad greens (I like to make sure its got radicchio in it too – for the colour and the sharp tang it gives)
- About six slices of red onion, very finely sliced, and halved
- About 1/2 cup of fetta, crumbled (do use Dodoni fetta if you can, it is sublime)
- About 1/3 cup walnuts, pounded until grainy in a mortar and pestle
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon raspberry vinegar (use red wine vinegar if you can’t get raspberry)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Wash the salad leaves well, dry, and toss into a bowl with the fetta, walnuts and onions.
Whisk the oil and vinegar together and pour over the leaves. Season with pepper and salt, and toss everything through until the leaves are coated with the dressing and other ingredients.